1632 Hunter Road Built in 1878, this store served the families working in H.D. Gruene’s cotton fields, supplying food, clothing, and household goods as well as farming implements and feed. Travelers aboard the Brown and Tartox stage line also turned to the store as a rest stop for refreshments and supplies. When H.D. became postmaster in 1890, his mercantile also served as the post office and later as a bank and distillery. H.D.’s Green River Brand whiskey sold for 10¢ a shot and was known as “The whiskey without a headache”.
G9. Gruene General Store (1897)