1601 Hunter Road Henry D. Gruene (1850-1920) was a visionary merchant who helped bring about the prosperity and notoriety of this historic town. It was on this spot in 1878 that he chose to begin his mercantile business, having come back to the town of Goodwin after a stint selling goods in nearby Wimberley, Texas. The current structure was built in 1904, to accommodate the growth of H.D.’s thriving business, and served as the heart of the community. The edifice’s corbelled cornices and other touches reflect influences of both Classical Revival and Richardsonian Romanesque stylings. the building currently houses an antique store and bar.
G5. H.D Gruene Mercantile (1850)