D/W63. Boenig/Maurer House (1869)

475 Butcher St

In 1869, this building served as a home for dairy farmer Wilhelm Boenig. Braddock Street was originally called Boenig Street until the city changed the name in 1991. From Boenig, the residence passed to three more German families — Hartmann, Maurer, and Schneider — some of them original New Braunsfelsers.

Many believe the Boenig/Maurer house was built in the mid-1850s, as its foot-thick lime and sand plaster walls were the style of the day. The sturdy building sits on a continuous foundation of cut stone. The interior walls are made of adobe with straw plaster laid onto hand split oak laths.