Tour Category: Driving
421 South Seguin Avenue Built by the city’s first physician, Dr. Theodore Koester, this is one of the city’s most impressive historic homes, with three stories, 15 rooms, and 18-inch limestone walls. This mid-19th century house, constructed in the new Anglo-American vernacular, also included a kitchen, basement, dumbwaiter, and other architectural innovations for the time […]
447 South Seguin Avenue The elegant, early modern home of Anselm Eiband was restored in the late 1980s and the interior redesigned to serve as office space for Hoffmann Financial.
453 South Seguin Avenue This lot changed hands six times from 1852-1882, with two of those occurring at 10am on 1/2/1882. Anselm Eiband finally built a small Victorian house for his sister on the lot. No ownership changes occurred again until the late 1890s. Now an office building.
480 South Seguin Avenue Wilhelm Schmidt, a wheelright, built carriages and displayed them in this brick building. Now an office building.
494 South Seguin Avenue Johann Jahn was among the first settlers of New Braunfels. He became a renowned furniture maker in the ensuing decades, his reputation spreading to New York. After his death, his son and grandson built this building and continued the business of fine hand-crafted furniture until the 1930s. Some pieces by Johann […]
491 Comal Avenue The home of Ferdinand Lindheimer, internationally known botanist and first editor of the New Braunfels newspaper, is now open to the public by appointment. Construction is typical of the ancient fachwerk the German settlers adapted to Texas cedar and limestone. This property was given to Lindheimer by Prince Carl for guiding settlers […]
480 Comal Avenue The house is an example of the small fachwerk houses made of fired adobe brick and native, hand-hewn cedar timbers built by early settlers. Restored in 1978. Now a private residence.
424 Comal Avenue The Voelcker residence is one of the original fachwerk homes in New Braunfels. It is now part of the Comal Inn Bed & Breakfast, called the New Braunfels Cottage.
388 Comal Avenue August Tolle (1829-1922) immigrated to New Braunfels with his parents and siblings in 1845, and established a drugstore with his brother-in-law, Dr. Theodore Koester, in 1858. In 1861, he wed Karoline Messer and had five children. In 1891, August bought this house and lot, which later transferred to his son Alfred and […]
234 Comal Avenue Bought by Gustav Schmidt in 1865 for $100, this house was sold a year later for four times that amount. In 1881, Wilhelm Guessow bought the house and lot. It was used as his home and broom/brushmaking workshop through the turn of the next century. Now an office building.