Tour Category: Walking
131 South Hill Avenue The New Braunfels Volunteer Fire Department was organized June 6, 1886. The old fire station is now a museum featuring antique fire trucks and fire-fighting equipment used by the early firemen. Tour appointments are made at the fire station next door. Built on original Town Lot 122, this fire station was […]
265 West San Antonio Street Brothers Louis and Otto Seekatz constructed the Seekatz Opera House in the early 1900s. Home to much more than opera, the theater played host to a wide variety of traveling entertainment, quickly making Seekatz Opera House the center of entertainment and social activity. It would remain the premier event, meeting, […]
239 West San Antonio Street This two-story brick building originally housed a bakery on the first floor and living quarters for the Plumeyer family on the second floor. Now the New Braunfels Art League Gallery.
Located at West San Antonio Street and 100 block of Castell Avenue on the wall of the Downtown Antique Building – one block from the Main Plaza.
Located on the west side of Krause’s Café known as Krause Strasse in the 100 block of Castell Avenue – next to The City of a Prince Mural. One block from the Main Plaza.
161 South Castell Avenue Listed in the 1976 Most Historic Places in America, this house was built entirely of local materials by Heinrich Hinmann, for his family of twelve. Now business offices for Communities in Schools of South Central Texas.
193 West San Antonio Street Built over the Phoenix Saloon where alligators enjoyed an outdoor pool, where ladies drank beer in the garden shade, and where Willie Gebhardt’s restaurant became the foundation of the Gebhardt chili empire. He produced the first chili powder in 1896, and in 1908 canned the first chili con carne. […]
The Main Plaza was drawn into the original city plans in 1845. The fountain was added in 1895 to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the founding of New Braunfels. High curbs were integrated into the fountain design to keep citizens from using it to water their horses. The Bandstand, first called the Music Pavilion, was […]
367 Main Plaza One of 17 saloons in early downtown New Braunfels. In 1924 the original wood frame building was replaced and housed the Herald-Zeitung, the first English newspaper in town. Today it is once again a saloon, the Black Whale.
190 South Seguin Street This Texas-German style house was built for Franz Moreau, a German consul whose fortune was made in the post-Civil War cotton boom. The original house (Town Lot 54, Johann Heinrich Schulze) was constructed in 1845 and demolished in 1905. The current construction was built closer to the street. Now an office […]